Although both articles bring up important points and points that allow us to critically look at the use/effect of the Internet, I would have to agree with the second article by Wolman. He looks at the facts: our world is changing, and people need make the conscious decision to come aboard the 'technology train' with the facts and true knowledge of the implications of the changes.
For years, new technologies and innovations have spread across the world, and they have all (in some way) had a positive effect on people and the growth of the modern world. I think, however, that we need to remember the "old", appreciate the "old", inform youth about the "old", and understand that the "old" technologies (in some ways) brought on the "new".
As a middle school teacher, I show how and help my students to use a variety of resources. Yes, I still make them use dictionaries, but I also allow them to use dictionary.com. I show them how to decide if a source is reputable, but I also illustrate the importance of reading a book about a topic to learn more. It is always a requirement to have at least two Internet sources and two book/magazine/newspaper sources. If we teach our students about the "old" resources/technologies, they will appreciate their use and understand how to use them. Not only as teachers but as active people in our community, we should use new technologies to our advantage yet still give weight to the "old".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment